Sunday, January 3, 2010

Compool Hot Tub/Pool Controls on an Android Phone


In our home we have a Compool 3810 controller and I wanted to be able to turn our hot tub on and off from our Android phone. To make this work I downloaded a copy of SoftCP from the Pentair website (see http://12.4.181.70/cp-006.htm) onto a Windows 98 laptop. (This software will only work on Win95/98 computers). I then connected the serial port of the laptop to the Compool part number MOD-RS485 for serial communication to the Compool 3810 keypad mounted on our master bedroom wall.

The next step was to download WinVNC server onto my Windows98 laptop (see: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/windows/21413&vid=76842). I used the laptop as a host to my Windows7 client computer on the kitchen where I could see the SoftCP control software that was running on the Windows 98 laptop.

At this point I opened up a port on my Linksys router to establish a remote desktop connection to the Windows7 computer in the kitchen. I downloaded a copy of the Android Ap called Remote Desktop Client from www.xtralogic.com and now am able to connect directly to the Windows7 computer showing the SoftCP control screen from my Android and turn on and off my hot tub from anywhere that my Android has a 3G or 802.x wireless connection. See the image above.

No comments:

Post a Comment